Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Things we love about Nunn



In the last four weeks there has been a lot to happen in our family. What has taken over our lives is that our Nunny is sick. Cancer is a vicious mean disease that can ruin people. In our family it has definitely brought us closer. We want to spend every minute together.


I decided I wanted to find out what my kids love about their Nunny. I don't want to dwell on the cancer but on the things she has taught us and given to us that we will never forget. Here are a few of the things my kids mentioned with a few of my own:
  • Uno Games...Gabe loves to play uno with Nunn. Whenever I would go to pick the kids up they would be playing uno with Nunny.
  • Sequence...She wouldn't always let Eli get the dragon. She played by the rules.
  • Reading books...Especially Spooky Old Tree. I loved to watch her read this to the kids. She even made them get the shiverings! She is the best at reading books because she knows how to cut out the boring parts and the story still sounds good. The kids never even notice.
  • Cookie drawer...bottom right hand drawer in the kitchen. Everybody knows where this is.
  • Treat shelf...there is always something chocolate on the treat shelf in the fridge. She always has it stocked with yummy treats.
  • Backyard...The kids love her backyard. The huge sandbox (with water), the swingset and swimming pool. She always has something fun for the kids.
  • Going to McD's...She would take them to get cinnamelts and cookies for a late breakfast.
  • Love...My kids always knew that she loved them. She always told them and they will always know that.Nunny's food...The kids mentioned her open face cheese sandwiches, enchiladas, augratin potatoes and her homemade chicken noodle soup. I don't make any of these quite like Nunn.
  • She always knows what to say in any situation. Whether it be good or bad she always has the best advice.
  • Fun Girl trips...Just in the last year we went to Seattle and Chicago. We always have so much fun. The picture up above is from Seattle.
  • My favorite saying from her is: "This too shall pass."


Thanks Nunny for being such a great influence on our lives. We love you soooo much!



4 comments:

Nikki said...

Just checked out your blog from a link on the cancer sucks blog. Fun to read about you, Troy and your kids. You have a darling family.

It's funny how in the pictures you look just like the rest! :) Noorda through and through. Even if it is by marriage. :)

I was glad to hear the treat drawer was in the same place and my memories weren't decieving me.

All this blog reading I've suddenly been doing might just prompt me to do my own. Urgh who knows. Hang in there!

Jill Johnson said...

She is the best! My kids always say that her chicken noodle soup isn't as good when I make it because I don't add love.

Darci Buhl said...

I remember the treat drawer from when we were little! That was the first place we went when we would come to visit...and we always thought it was there especially for us.
I really cant imagine how terrible this must be for all of you...we love you!

Coatsy's said...

Hey Noorda Clan, We love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Gavin, Alicia, Caleb and Chloe Coats