Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'M LOSING AIR!

So we went down to Moab for our annual 24 hours of Moab trip last weekend. We were expecting bad weather so the guys decided to put on their skirts and not race. We went down anyway and rode our cans off (the guys did at least). Heidi and I only got one ride in but that was better than nothing.

We went out to a trail named Klondike Bluffs. It is about 15 or 20 minutes outside of Moab. We started riding and it was so windy we thought we were going to just blow over. Once we got out a ways the wind subsided and it was beautiful. It turned out to be a great ride. My tire went flat and we had to pump it up but we can handle that.


After the ride we started heading back to town, all of a sudden my tire pressure warning light came on. So I checked to see what my tire pressure was and it was going down fast. I said to Heidi, "IM LOSING AIR." There is a gas station a few miles outside of Moab so we hurried there to put some air in my tire. The air came out as fast as I could put it in. So, Heidi ran in and grabbed a can of fix-a-flat. We put that in and it started bubbling out. We thought maybe we needed to drive around so it would plug the hole. So we started driving around in circles in this dirt parking lot. We probably looked like idiots. It didn't work, the air kept coming out. We hurried and put more air in the tire and tried to make it into Moab so someone could help us there.

We got into town and all the shops were closed. It was after 6 pm on a Friday night. Of course nobody is open. So we went to a parts store and we asked the guy what to do and he had a plug kit. Well, working at my parents shop for most of my life was good for something. I have seen my brothers plug tires a million times. So I bought the kit and decided to fix it myself.

We drove down the street to a gas station so I could use the air. I put the plug in it just like my brothers do. I was worried it wouldn't work but guess what? The air stopped leaking. And now it is 4 days later and still holding. How many of you out there can say you plugged a tire? This is coming from someone who, while on a bike ride only takes her cell phone if she gets a flat tire. Troy would always come and save me or fix my flat. Heidi and I did it this time. We are pretty proud of ourselves.

6 comments:

LuVera said...

Kelli,
Loved the bike story and I'm so proud that you could fix it. 3 weeks ago while riding in the river bottom with the girls for Activity day, my front tire popped at the end of the trail. I had to walk the darn thing all the way back to the pick up point. Thank goodness a couple of the girls took pity on me and walked back with me!

Keli said...

Why does this not surprise me? You two girls! You always seem to git 'er dun!

How was 24 hours? Crappy? It seems to be on an every other year schedule, huh?

KristiBT said...

I tried to plug a leak with chewed gum once - didn't work at all. You should teach this in Release Society.

Jill Johnson said...

Hey, working at your Dads has come in handy more than once, if you remember.

Heidi Rich said...

I am sure everyone was laughing as we drove round and round. (including us.)
Kelli did leave out how fast she drove into town..The speed incresed as the tire pressure decreased.
I am also sure the parts store man was laughing as we walked out with our plug kit!
This whole time all I am worried about was if I was going to get my Diet Coke. I was a big help to Kelli handing parts with one had and sipping my coke with the other! However, I did help hold the hose on, while drinking my coke. Good times!
I can change a bike tire, but why if someone else will do it for you!

Girls Rule said...

I have been with the two of you and you two are both not afraid of grease. That is a funny story!! Didn't hear about that one.