Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day

Today I have been thinking a lot about Mothers Day! I have had such a crazy week, I think my body finally got tired and gave up. I woke up today and I can't even talk so I stayed home from church. It gave me the opportunity to reflect a little about this day.

I remembered what happened to me six years ago. I was blessed with my beautiful boy, Gabe. He was born at 12:35 am on May 12th, which was Mothers Day. I couldn't ask for a better gift. He has been such a good boy. Even at his young age, he has always been concerned for me. I think we have a special bond (I do with all my kids), but I know he loves me and I love him.

I was also thinking about the women in my life. There are three women who really stick out to me. I have my mom (Gloria), my second mom (Paula), and my Grandma Tilla. I have learned so much from these women.

My mom has taught me to be the person I am today. She always looks for the blessings in things. She is so spiritual. She has been the Relief Society President in her ward for three years now and she has had so many challenges. She just deals with it and knows that that is where she is supposed to be right now. She is also a good cook. Thanks to her, she is the one that takes the time to teach my kids how to cook. Thanks Mom, I love you!

My other mom, Paula, has taught me so many things. The first thing that always comes to my mind is that she always tells me, "This too shall pass." Sometimes I am going through hard times and she always knows the right thing to say. She has always been there for me. She has saved me in more than one situation. A couple of months ago I crashed my car into the garage door as I was leaving (the door wasn't all the way up, oops!). I was trying to take Gabe to school and she was here in about two minutes. Thank you for raising such a wonderful son and husband too. Thanks for everything, I love you too!

Lastly, my grandma Tilla. I know everybody loves their grandmas, but not like I love mine. I have always had something special with her. First of all, she named me. My name, Kelli Jo, came from her. So growing up I was always known as 'Little Tilla'. We spent a lot of time together. The five years I was in college, and years after that, I spent one lunch a week at her house. She made me lunch and we sat and talked. I was blessed with her testimony and spirit. One week, she gave me a ring that she had worn for 30 years. I have now been wearing it for about 20 years. She is such a strong woman. When her eighth child (my mom) turned one, she was widowed. She did what she had to do to support her family. It was hard and I have never heard her complain. She is now 98 years old and I still get to visit her. Thanks Grandma for all the many memories and the ring that will always remind me of you.

Thanks to all the other women in my life, my sisters and friends (you know who you are)! I love you all and wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't have you in my life.

1 comment:

Jill Johnson said...

You rock! You made me cry a little!