Sunday, April 27, 2008

Name that tune...

Troy and I were talking the other day about songs. He said he heard some DJs talking about songs that have had an impact on their lives. I know that songs can definitely stir up memories. Sometimes songs take me back to times in my life.

Troy and I have songs that take us back to certain trips. Every year, we make our trek to Yellowstone. There is usually a favorite album we keep listening to, over and over, as we travel through the park. One year it was Anna Nalick. The next it was Unwritten Law. Everytime we hear those songs we picture the park.

One song that always reminds me of a certain time: Indigo Girls 'Closer to Fine'.

Before Troy and I even started dating we took a trip to Lake Powell with a big group of UofU/Institute friends. The 'tape' cassette that was in the boat was Howard Jones, but we put the Indigo Girls in. All the girls would sing Closer to Fine. You all know the song, there is a part of the song where they whistle. Troy would always pretend to do the whistling part. That is what I always think of when I hear that song.

I have a million songs that remind me of things. I want to know at least ONE of your songs. Tell me what song and what it reminds you of.

5 comments:

Keli said...

Death Cab always reminds me of Bryce Canyon. I love it.

Indigo Girls, whatever album had the reddish cover, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me, reminds me of Yellowstone when we rented that trailer.

Howard Jones, pretty much my entire childhood spent curled up terrified of the tour boat waves.

And Coldplay reminds me of when we went to Aspen with Rob and Laura. That was a trip worth remembering for sure!

Meg & Josh said...

Howard Jones...The Boat

Alans Parson Project...The Motorhome

Technotronic....Jill and Tara, Lake Mead

Kenny Rogers...Scary Motorhome Yellowstone Trip

Counting Crows...Skiing at Brighton so many nights

David Gray...Land Rover Moab Trip 2002

Keli said...

OMG, Technotronic, totally Tara and Jill at Lake Mead! So funny. And how could I have forgotten APP? Yellowstone and Quake Lake in the motorhome.

Larissa said...

I know what you mean about things bringing up memories. Smells and foods will do that to me. When it comes to music, Depeche Mode and U2 take me back to high school. And also, the way overplayed Alfaville song. I have no songs or memories of any vacations. Ok, now I'm depressed.

Jill Johnson said...

My sisters hit them all. I remember one trip in the motorhome, my Dad wanted my Gr Noorda to hear the words to APP so he had me sing them in her ear!! Ha Ha. Howard Jones for sure in the boat Woo wo wo!! Anna Nalick, and counting crows will forever be my riding playlist. I love to ride listening to them. I like to throw in a little John Mayer too.